May 22, 2010 at 4:19 pm #165842emragMember
first of all sorry about bad english. this’s my first post here.
i bought a nc10 before but when i had problem about screen i changed it with a n150 with 2gb ram and 250gb hdd. but i’m unhappy with windows 7 sometimes. so i installed windows xp with dual boot. here’s a guide what did i do.
without loosing recovery partition and f4 key you can get win 7 and win xp dual boot with this guide using an usb stick.
n150 comes with windows 7 starter with a recovery partition (15gb) primary, system partition (100mb) primary and another partiton (about 220gb) primary.
i splitted 220gb to 40gb for win 7 and 180gb. i have c (which win 7 installed) and d. i assume you did same thing like me and have 2 partition.
we will install windows xp to a new partition. at last we will have partitions like that:
c: (win 7), d: (win xp), e (our backup partition or something like that)
1- first of all backup all your files from c and d to an external hdd or usb. because we ll lost all data on drive. (not system and recovery partitions dont worry)
2- download free easeus partition master from there: http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Partition-Master-Home-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html
3. install and run it as administrator. you ll see 4 primary partitions, recovery, system, c and d.
4. now click on d and select delete. you ll see unallocated. now click on it and create. select create as option logical and set size of partition which ll install windows xp. i selected 10gb. then click other unallocated partition, create then just click ok. now click apply button. computer ll restart.
5. after restart now we have 3 partition, c (win 7), d and e.
6. now follow the instructions from there to prepare usb stick. but DO NOT start to install with usb. DO NOT restart pc. follow the guide till you see “Ok we are done the hard part, close the usbprep8 window.” line. then come here again and continue reading from 7.
note: you cant download USB_PREP8, PeToUSB, Bootsect.exe from this article. you can find them from google.
7. after prepared usb open it and find “boot.ini” open with notepad delete all and copy these lines and save it. if you dont do that you ll get hal.dll error during installation.Quote:[Boot Loader]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)WINDOWS=”2. GUI installation” /FASTDETECT
C:SETUPLDR.bs=”1. TXT Mode Setup Windows XP, Never unplug USB-Drive Until After Logon”
8. now restart pc with usb plugged. press f2, in bios set first boot device usb. save and restart pc.
9. now you ll see 2 options. select “1. TXT Mode Setup Windows XP, Never unplug USB-Drive Until After Logon”
10. BE CAREFUL now you ll see 5 partitions and 1 usb. DO NOT select system, recovery or win 7 partitions. their letters will be mixed so check sizes of partitions and select right partition. i selected the 10gb partition.
11. after text installation DO NOT do “2. GUI installation“. just press f4 while restarting and go samsung recovery solution. now do full recovery.
12. after full recovery do the “2. GUI installation”
13. after installation unplug usb and restart pc. now you ll see only win 7 installation. open ie and download EasyBCD 2.0 Beta. DO NOT download 1.x versions. they doesn’t work. download only 2.0 version.)
(you must be registered user to download EasyBCD 2.0 Beta.)
14. run EasyBCD 2.0 Beta as administrator. click add new entry. select type windows nt/2k/xp/2k3, give it a name. if drive option avalilable select the drive letter which windows xp installed then click add entry button. it ll may ask you to create files automatically (there’s no ntldr and ntdetect.com files in xp installation). click yes. then go to “bootlader setup” menu. click “write mbr” button with a red icon.
15. now you are ready to restart pc. you ll see 2 option windows 7 and microsoft windows. select microsoft windows for xp. if your pc restart again without doing nothing. dont worry. it’s k. again select microsoft windows.
16. while loading xp’s desktop you ll may get an error about rdisk. just enter to let program set it automatically.
17. none of drivers installed. so you wont connect internet. in windows 7 just go to samsung official n150 page and download drivers and softwares and install them to xp.
note: if you get hal.dll error when try to start 2. gui installation, unplug usb and start your win 7. then plug usb and open boot.ini file and change partition(4) parts with partition(3) or partition(5) and then try to install 2.gui installation part. now it ll be ok.May 22, 2010 at 4:42 pm #213598emragMember
in windows xp you ll see system (100mb) partition and you want to hide it. download tweak ui from microsoft.com
here’s a guide how to hide drive and partitions.
http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/1638May 24, 2010 at 9:48 pm #213597jeepers01Participant
emrag – Welcome to the forum
Thanks for taking the time to post your guide, very interesting solution 🙂September 16, 2010 at 12:30 pm #213600fieteMember
argh.. I’m stuck at step 9. When I select 1. txt mode setup windows XP, my laptop reboots during the beginning of the installation… I’ve tried two different (burned) discs to prepare a bootable usb.
Could you please give me some more details on steps 9 and further?
You say one cannot unplug the usb before logging in, but I remember that during installation, windows xp reboots a couple of times. That would mean the laptop starts reading from the usb again after restarting. Or am I mistaken?November 30, 2010 at 11:26 am #213601MSZ1Member
Good guide by EMRAG, done w/o problem.
my NF310 since mid Oct 10 dualboot already..XP & Win 7. I used other samsung NB driver ,, oh now.. available official driver for XP at Samsung (malaysia), website (my home)February 4, 2011 at 5:11 pm #213599March 21, 2011 at 9:03 pm #213604EstebanK0Member
I used this method but it required my usb flash drive to be plugged in in order for my netbook to actually boot into XP. I assume it’s to do with the boot.ini file on the flash drive. I’ve ordered an external optical drive anyway so I’ll install XP from disc (I’ll be using the optical drive burning mainly so I needed one anyway).April 3, 2011 at 6:43 pm #213602yodacoMember
hi, you can fix those boot issues by downloading EasyBCD its free and its very easy to use and it will fix any boot menu troubles you have when multibooting including the fact that your boot loader is installed to the usb drive which is why it is required at boot.. i would say if your multiboot is win7 and XP for example.
boot into win7 and install it to win7 that way it will have full controll over the boot menu.. where as win xp will not find win7’s boot menu.
make sure when you re-install the boot loader that it is gets installed onto the mbr of your master drive 😉
ive used easyBCD to fix all sorts of boot issues its fantastic 😉April 3, 2011 at 6:48 pm #213603yodacoMember
p.s it can also be used if you installed xp after win 7 (i.e if you restore xp and it wipes win7’s boot loader) you can use easyBCD to fix it. even if you have to install it to xp it can still find win7 and boot it… its just more ideal to do it the other way round 😉
also, dont do anything to your hard drive without first getting Macrium Reflect to backup your drives and EASUS partition master for the rest.. and i recomend a linux live usb key to.. its will save your life if all this multiboot goes wrong 😉May 13, 2011 at 5:26 pm #213605kmashrafMember
I am getting a bad_pool_caller blue screen during the gui installation? Would a redo of the USB prep and restart of the gui install work? Also would I be able to use a ISO image of WinXP to do the USB prep? Thanks for the excellent tutorial. One thing I would like to clarify, on completion of the first stage of the text based usb install, I was unable to start the Samsung Recovery process, I had to remove the USB device to get to the Samsung Recovery utility or I would have had to change the boot order in the BIOS.June 30, 2011 at 8:33 am #213606mxbkhanMember
Thanks for the tutorial.
I am stuck at step 6, as the files mentioned are no more available to download.
Kindly help to finsh theprocedure.October 26, 2011 at 5:43 am #213607BennieeeMember
thanks for sharing such useful info.
i used the easus partition manager to enlarge one of my partition to 30GB, and installed windows 7 on that.
and i also got a tutorial for dual boot windows 7 with XP from easus. it really helped a lot. wanna share it.October 22, 2020 at 8:09 am #270752vyselleParticipant
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.