December 21, 2008 at 4:56 pm #160183CometMember
I have been looking at netbooks for the past few weeks. I have a few questions about the Samsung NC10 (As this seems to be the best netbook out right now). I know I have not picked the best time of the year to buy one 😛
1. The screen blotch problem, how bad is it? I have a similar issue on my PSP screen where there are dark blobs on the screen. I can notice them when playing games at certain times within the game. Is this problem similar or do you have to have a white screen open and look hard to see them?
2. If I did buy one I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2009. The netbooks specs are powerful enough to run it. Has anyone ran it on their NC10?
3. The most worrying problem is the battery wear. One of the main reasons for buying this netbook is the battery life. I know this is an issue with all batterys and is nothing to do with the one inside the Samsung NC10.
4. When playing games how long does the netbook last? I know that it will last for 4 hours with high usage (Flash based websites etc.) but games will drain more power. How long would I expect it to last playing some old games?
Thanks to anyone who can answer any of these questions.December 22, 2008 at 12:35 am #176866adatay92Member
2. Yes the NC10 will run Kaspersky Internet Security 2009, although I have no personal experience with it. In my opinion, a decent anti-virus and the windows firewall would be fine but I guess it depends what sort of websites you surf!
3. Do not worry about the battery wear too much, seriously. Like you say ALL batteries will wear and there is little that can really be done to stop it happening although there are some useful tips here for prolonging the life of your battery. See this thread for more information on battery wear. Apart from that, the NC10 has an excellent battery life in my opinion.
4. Depends on a million and one things like how bright you have the screen when you’re playing, is wifi switched on, etc. I would be surprised if you get less than 4 hours out of it though playing games. Have a look in the Games subforum for details but don’t be too optimistic about which games you will be able to play on the NC10.
Hope that helps, but in the future please try searching the forums as alot of your questions have already been answered.December 22, 2008 at 3:21 am #176867CometMember
Thanks for the reply. I know that some of them have been answered and I have searched the forums quite a bit. But with question 2 for example I was generally asking if anyone had run into any issues. I have not found an answer to question 4 on my search around the forums and 1 and 3 I have read about but added in to see if anyone one has some extra useful information for me, which you did have.December 22, 2008 at 5:32 pm #176865jezMember
1. The vast majority of people have not been affected by this. Perhaps buy somewhere which will allow easy in store returns (eg John Lewis) if you are really concerned.
3. Id agree with adatay92. At worst you might have to buy a new battery one day. I’d think by then they will be easy to get or you’ll be looking at a new device anyway! Mine is behaving just great 2 months in 🙂
4. I have been using mine to play a few games and stream iPlayer etc. Generally I’d say I get 4-5hrs of heavier usage. But again, like adatay92 says, there are many things that will affect this and a number of things that you can do to improve battery life.
Always feel free to answer questions in the beginners forum 🙂
If you want one and think this site has been helpful, check out the where to buy page!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.